Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Latrine Project is Finished!


Well congrats the hard working mason Thierno from Kukuji, all those who dug their holes, and my village father Alpha Mamadou who carted the sand and gravel to each site; We completed the 15 latrines that I got the grant for a month ago.That’s 15 families who will now be able to stop pooping in the bush, which means less diarrhea for everyone! Too bad I didn’t have more time and money to get some more done.
Thierno starting work on one of the cement covers

one of the 15 finished vented latrines in Pelel

I was actually really surprised how quickly this project went. As soon as I got the money from Appropriate Projects, we informed the people of Pelel to start digging their holes, bought the cement, rebar, PVC pipe and wire and it was all said and done in about 3 weeks! I thought I’d maybe be cutting it close before my last days at site in Pelel, but everyone was really enthusiastic about getting this project done, so bravo to us! Especially to Thierno, that man is a beast of a mason, he can knock out 2 or 3 per day (thanks to my ancienne volunteer Kay who got him trained so well during her latrine project back before I got to Senegal). Check out the photos below (more to come on Picasa) and thanks to my friend Lucy in the UK who helped fund the project along with other donors through Appropriate Projects (a great organization if I haven’t mentioned that enough already, consider donating to another clean water project through them if you’d like).
Moussa Yero, who lives in Pelu (a quartier of Pelel), with his newly finished latrine! he's one happy customer, now he just needs to build a little fence for some privacy...

No comments:

Post a Comment