Saturday, March 10, 2012

2 Year Anniversary and Full Moon Midnight Bike Ride


Today is my 2 year anniversary here in Senegal. Two years, wow they went so fast! And now there’s just about a month left in Pelel and then some administrative stuff in Dakar, a COS trip to Sierra Leone (more about that in a future post) and then I fly home on May 1st.

I’d love to reminisce about the last two years here, but it would be a terrible rambling tangent train with no end in sight, and then I’d definitely lose the last couple of loyal readers that I still have; so I won’t… But looking back, I’m proud and happy about my service, it’s been truly amazing and I wouldn’t have traded this experience for anything else.

Enough of that, I still have some time left here and let me tell you, it’s a super busy schedule for which I’m really excited and looking forward too, it’s also going to fly by ridiculously fast. As you all know I just got the funding for my latrine project (yes, it’s smaller than I had wanted to do, but it’s the perfect size for this last month). Since the beginning of March I got the budget finalized, found out that we can squeeze out 15 new latrines for the community. We decided to allocate a certain number to each of the quartiers (neighborhoods) of Pelel. Nearly ten families have already dug their holes and paid the 5,000 cfa ($10) contribution, so earlier this week Dabi, my counterpart, and I came into Kedougou to buy the cement and other materials. It should have been a 1 morning trip but due to the 40+ year old transport that we had contracted, it actually took three days we included me having to walk about 7km at night to get home while we waited for the mechanic to come out to Dindefelo.
our 40+ year old car rapide transport, spent 2.5hours pushing it up and down hills with the others to get it started...

Either way the materials finally made it out to Pelel and the work should be getting started extremely soon, if it hasn’t already started.

To celebrate the full moon on Thursday night we decided to do a midnight bike ride from Saraya to Kedougou, which is 60km. We started around 10pm and it was awesome because the moon was so bright, and the air was nice and cool, it was like biking in a dream-world.
Meera and the kilometer marker in Saraya the afternoon before the big ride

the group on the road, this was after we had "Shirts-off-o'clock" somewhere around the 45km mark. Me, Frank, Ian, Meera, Leah, Ben, CJ, and Marielle (Jess took the photo and kept her shirt on because it was cold...)

Oh and in other good news, remember how the back wall of Pelel’s health hut fell down during the last rainy season? Well Dabi finally got it fixed! So March is already shaping up to be a pretty awesome month and I think it’ll be a nice close to my service.
The new wall on the back of the health hut, much better construction this time around, I have no idea why they didn't build the walls this way last time, but this is Senegal and that's how planning works here...

No comments:

Post a Comment